Thursday, July 21, 2011

Progress? Wait what? YUS

Hallo all, I have SNOW WHITE ROSE RED NEWS.

This news being? I hit a writing stride for the first time ever.

You see, a lot of the reason why SWRR keeps stalling and not being worked on is completely to do with the fact that I was having a lot of trouble with the writing.

The first draft was crap, some may tell you differently, but it wasn't natural enough and the two girls had zero personality.

I went back, developed the two of them a lot more and made a few stylistic changes.

I tried to write then again but couldn't do it, so I put SWRR aside and focused on trying to get Rock Robin done, which I did do a lot of. I drew a tonshit of chibis, finished off Emma and got about halfway through Claudette (Okay I'm very slow, but school really gave me a lot of setbacks).

And then I decided to Rapunzel.

Now Rapunzel had been an idea of mine since I first started SWRR. I knew I wanted to use this world I created for SWRR to encompass a variety of fairy tales. So while working on it I threw out ideas for about 3 other fairytales and how I could go about doing them. Rapunzel was one of those ideas, but that one had to wait for NaNoRenO to come around.

So when it did I put everything else aside and pounced on the opportunity and boy was it the greatest learning opportunity I've ever had.

Of course afterwards I was VERY put out from game making for a long time (it didn't help that I had stupidly joined a group at my school doing the Games4Girls contest as the only gamer in the group I knew the game sucked, but I did try my hardest).

So at this point I hadn't even looked at SWRR in months, let alone attempted to write it.

And then yesterday it just hit me, so I started and the writing style lessons I had learned doing Rapunzel immediately put themselves to use and it was so easy where it had been so hard before.

The problem with SWRR is that I kept pushing this game to use styles that were not my natural styles. I contrived a drawing style (I'm actually planning to redo both girls' sprites to something looser) and I contrived a writing style. The rest was natural to me (especially the GUI and the way I had decided to structure it), but writing and art are two corners of the very important VN triangle.

Now that I have gotten them figured out, however, I expect things to really start to fall into place.

I don't know if I'll finish all the art by the time I have to leave for my study abroad in Japan, but I can tell you that the writing will be done.

Because I am 4/5 done with it. All of Rose Red's side of the writing has been completed and I only need to write the boy events and the first chapter three event of Snow White and it will be done.

I'm pretty damn ecstatic right now.

Wish me luck <3

No comments:

Post a Comment